What to Do When You Are Injured By a Government Vehicle

You are well-advised to take specific steps after sustaining an injury by a postal truck or another government vehicle.

1. Seeks medical attention if it is needed

After a motor vehicle collision, pedestrian accident, or bike accident with a postal truck or other government vehicle, you must first ensure that everyone is okay and get medical attention immediately for anyone who needs it. The health and safety of you and any other individuals involved in the accident are your first priority.

Even minor symptoms should be examined by a medical professional. Aches, dizziness, or confusion can be symptoms of an underlying problem that hasn’t fully manifested. Many cases have been brought against the federal government, where seemingly minor injuries revealed themselves as traumatic brain injuries that need to be diagnosed and treated by a fully-qualified medical professional.

2. Call the police

Once you are sure everyone involved is okay, call law enforcement. A police report may become extremely useful in resolving a case with the United States government. If the police can’t make it to the scene, you can still file a report with the department of motor vehicles.

3. Take photos and collect essential information

If you are well and able, get out your cell phone and take photos of the vehicles involved in the accident and any other details at the scene of the accident. You are well-advised to take pictures of your injuries, as well, but only if you can do it without compromising your own well-being.

Photos are an excellent way of collecting valuable information you need if you don’t have anything handy to write things down. You could also use a note-taking app to log details and observations in writing. Try to collect as much information, whether it seems important to you or not, about the cars, people, and witnesses at the scene, including:

  • License plate numbers of all the vehicles involved
  • Drivers license and contact drivers involved
  • Insurance information
  • The make and model of the vehicles in the accident

4. Get the contact info of the of witnesses and police officers at the scene

Politely ask for the name and badge numbers of any officers who arrive at the scene. Be sure not to interfere with them doing their jobs, though. If there are any bystanders or witnesses at the scene, get their names, phone numbers, and addresses.

5. Request the police report and keep thorough and detailed medical records

You will likely need the full police report, including any photos and witness statements taken by the police. These may be helpful for your personal injury attorney in determining how the wreck occurred and in resolving your case against the government. You will also likely need any medical records from any evaluations, tests, and treatments you received as a result of your injuries.

6. Contact an experienced attorney

If you’ve been involved in a government vehicle accident and are injured, you must adhere to the rules surrounding the Federal Tort Claims Act to seek compensation for your injuries. Many pitfalls exist in handling this law focus, so be sure to contact a personal injury lawyer who has experience dealing with lawsuits against the United States government.